Monday, August 26, 2013

Welcome!

Hi, everyone! Welcome to ENGL 399: Writing in a Digital World.

I am really excited about this semester. You will be blogging and creating websites and digital videos--all while writing and composing in a variety of genres. Some of your writing/composing will focus on the increased significance of digital communication in our lives today: how these new forms of communication are changing the ways we act, think, and interact with others.


Much will also focus on an issue that you choose. (So start thinking! We'll talk about the range of types of topics you could explore.)

You'll also all be reading one another's blogs: we'll create a class blog roll and maintain a conversation in this space, which I hope will inform and extend our class discussions. I won't comment on your posts here, because I've found that students interact with one another more freely when they have their own space.* But I will read every post, and in class I will often pick up on threads that you begin here.

I have three goals for these blogs. First, I want you to learn both the conventions and the technology associated with blogging. Second, I want you to reflect on our readings and class discussions. And third, I hope this blogging will extend our class community, offering a space beyond the classroom where you can get to know one another and discuss the issues we'll be exploring.

Have fun designing your blogs!

Dr. McEntarfer







*(Some of you may have or may someday take ENED 250 from me, where I do comment--but the goal and set-up of that class' blogs is different.)

No comments:

Post a Comment