Thursday, August 29, 2013

Video Game Blogs

As far back as I can remember I've enjoyed video games. So, for this analysis I already had one of the blogs in mind. Kotaku is a gaming/cultural blog that I already frequent quite often. It's updated every time I visit and filled with news about the latest games. Intertwined with the news are posts like this one which is more about eye candy then about video games. In comparison to the next two blogs I looked at, Kotaku's heading or site map is posted on the left side of the screen. The side heading allows for easier navigation of the site because it follows you as you scroll through the posts on the right side of the screen.

The next blog I checked out was That Video Game Blog. This was a new one for me. I found it after doing a search on google for "video game blogs", and it game up in a top ten list someone had made. It's not a bad blog actually. It's not updated as often as Kotaku, but the topics are focused more on just games. Navigation is fairly simple, if you want to check out earlier posts there is a calender on the main page leading to the archive.

This last blog called The Lone Gamer was also a new one for me. This blog was different from the other two blogs because there is only one author (hence the title). Navigation on the site was a bit confusing. For instance: on the right side of the blog there's a list of different categories to help you search for something to read about, cool. The problem is there are a ton of categories to choose from and are listed in alphabetical order, rather then grouped up by gaming platform like on the other two sites. However, I liked that the author's posts were more in depth then the sampling of the other two blogs. He seemed to really enjoy games and this came out in his posts. I could definitely see myself coming back to this blog in the future, despite the cluttered layout.  

No comments:

Post a Comment